Friday, January 27, 2012
Do as the Africans
This week was jam packed with trips to various places. On Tuesday we drove out to Guguletu a township in Cape Town where we had some wonderful food at a restaurant called Mzoli's. We then drove out to Langa (another township in Cape Town) where we had our first experience with the townships. The people were all very welcoming and it was one of the more powerful experiences I've had here so far. It is fascinating the divide between rich and poor and the size of the townships. These townships house millions of people! In Langa I was fortunate to try African Beer which is definitely an acquired taste.
The following day was also extremely powerful. We visited Robben Island. I was super shocked at how touristy it was. I mean I shouldn't have been, but still, lots of tourists. However, it was the clincher to what I have been learner about the human will that lies within the people of South Africa. Nelson Mandela's cell that he was imprisoned in for 18 years was maybe the size of my bathroom minus my shower. Small. Our tour guide, Jama, was imprisoned there for five years for orchestrating the Soweto uprising. When we got back to the port, we were surrounded by tourists. It wasn't what I thoroughly enjoyed. I found myself claiming the country as my own thinking all these people were ignorant and just there on Holiday. Not realizing that some people were probably thinking the same about me. Anyway, tourists are annoying.
That evening the boys, Shauna and I had a ping pong tournament which, I am proud to report, Jason and I won twice. After that it was, naturally, dance party time at the Alexander household. Epic. Yesterday we went to visit Stellenbosch, the first seminary in South Africa. And then wandered over to a Cheetah farm where I got to pet a Cheetah. Although, half the time I was worried about the 2 year old child in my group who didn't even want to pet the Cheetah and was more intrigued with the rocks. I thought for sure that kid was going to get eaten. Tomorrow we're planning on spending the entire day at the beach and celebrating Jill's birthday.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment