Sunday, January 22, 2012
When In Africa. . .
Okay so life is super busy around here and Internet is tricky. So bare with me :]. Something I've learned about South Africa is that it is beautiful, yes, but it is also rich with amazing people and cultures that, I personally believe, make South Africa the amazing country it is. It is also rich with history, a history that isn't so different from America's. We visited the slave lodge where we learned a bit about the slave that were brought into South Africa. It was quite powerful stuff and really makes you think about the value of humanity. Shauna and I have also gotten quite acquainted with the public transportation here. We even took a taxi! There taxis here are like vans where they pack as many people possible into them. Quite an adventure. Honor, Aaron, Shauna and I also had our first train experience where we had to figure out stops and such on our own. A little tricky and somewhat scary, but we're still here. I actually LOVE taking the train. Sometimes while riding the train the locals laugh at us because we're so loud and have no idea whats going on. This past Friday Shauna and I went out with Lavona (our host mom) and some of her friends to celebrate Pete (our host dad)'s sister moving back to Cape Town. We went to this place called Star Dust where our waiters and waitresses sing and perform for us. We had a blast. The next morning we were up bright and early to climb Table Mountain, one of the seven natural wonders of the world. Needless to say, a lot of stops were taken to take some beautiful photos of the landscape around us (and to breathe). Yesterday we chilled with the fam. We went with Jason and Aaron to watch them practice for cricket (a very popular sport here), took a walk and relaxed with Lavona, played 30 seconds (which the boys taught us how to play and we won :]), and I taught them BUNCO! Shauna and I also did some laundry and hung it up on the line over night to dry and wouldn't you know it, it rained. Wooo. Today we're visiting District 6 which I'm really excited for. Honestly I could get used to living in a place like this! Such a beautiful place!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
More mountain pictures!
ReplyDelete